Wednesday, August 24, 2022

The Monastery of Panagia Agrilion in Sami of Kefallonia, Which Hosted Saint Kosmas Aitolos in 1777 and Lord Byron in 1823


The Monastery of Panagia Agrilion is just 3 km east of Sami, on a green hill with an altitude of 180 m and in a magnificent location with a wonderful view.

The Monastery was founded by two shepherds who encountered a miraculous icon of the Panagia, known today as Panagia Agriliotissa, at this location in 1722. Iakovos and Symeon then decided to lead a monastic life and were the first residents of the Monastery they established. The primary feast of the Monastery is celebrated on August 15th, in honor of the Dormition of the Theotokos.

On the rock under the wild olive tree is where Saint Kosmas Aitolos taught in June of the year 1777. A portion of the shoes worn by the Saint while traveling around Kefallonia is kept in the Monastery, which was donated to the Monastery in 1960 by the Sokratis Kokkalis family, in whose house the great teacher had spent the night in Koulourata. Next to this tree is a small chapel dedicated to Saint Kosmas, which celebrates annually on August 24th.

This Monastery is also known for hosting the great poet and philhellene Lord Byron in August of 1823.

Destruction came to the Monastery during the earthquakes of 1953, but it was restored soon after.
 
 
 

 


 

 


 
 






 
Become a Patreon supporter:

To read more about supporting the ministry of the Mystagogy Resource Center, either as a monthly supporter or an annual supporter, please visit the DONATE page.

Thank you!