October 1, 2020

Synaxis of the Icon of the Mother of God of Barsky

Synaxis of the Icon of the Mother of God of Barsky (Feast Day - October 1)
The Barsky icon is located at the Convent of the Protection of the Mother of God, located in the city of Bar of the Podolsk diocese (present-day Vinnitsa region of Ukraine). This city experienced all the misfortunes of the rule of Catholic Poland in western Russia. Its final accession to Russia took place in 1793.

For a long time, there was a monastery in Bar, which belonged for some time to the Uniate Basilian monks. In 1837, the Barsky monastery was returned from the Uniates to the fold of the Orthodox Church. The monastery was also called the Pokrov Monastery in honor of the miraculous icon of the Mother of God located there, which at that time had a very wide veneration and celebration on October 1 which was established in 1887, when half a century had passed since the return of the Barsky monastery to the Orthodox.
In the late 17th - early 18th centuries a copy of the Podolsk Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos was made from the Barsky icon. The importance of this icon of the Mother of God to the fate of Orthodoxy in the Podolsk territory was great.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the Barsky icon was located in the altar of the monastery church; now it is in the Odessa region (Ukraine). A plot of land has been allocated for the construction of the chapel for the miraculous icon.