January 23, 2013

A Theophany Miracle At Iveron Monastery (video)

Despite the bad weather and lack of pilgrims due to bloacked roads this year to Mount Athos for the feast of Theophany, as well as the protests against Iveron Monastery, a miracle still occurred.

During the Ceremony of the Sanctification of the Waters at Iveron Monastery, which was officiated by Metropolitan Cyril of Amarousiou, Kyfisias and Oropos, witnesses beheld a miracle of the Panagia. In the central church of the Monastery, the silver vigil lamp that weighs 3.5 kilos began to move, which according to the tradition of the Monastery is a joyous event.

According to the First Chairman of Mount Athos, Fr. Maximos of Iveron, this vigil lamp suspends the law of gravity and moves in three movements.

According to tradition, which is substantiated through historical facts, when this vigil lamp moves on a feast day it foretells a joyous event, because it is believed that the Panagia is in the church at that moment celebrating with the faithful. However, if the vigil lamp moves on a regular day, it is believed this foretells an adverse event.

At certain times in history, this vigil lamp has swung sometimes for up to 40 days straight, warning of such events such as fires, earthquakes or even the Cypriot invasion. Sometimes it swings fast and sometimes slow. But on feasts it shows the presence of the Panagia among the faithful.

There are many miracles associated with this vigil lamp. According to its history uncovered by Fr. Maximos, it once was the vigil lamp for the miraculous Panagia Portaitissa icon. Later in 1821 it was brought to the central church and placed above the Beautiful Gate. It began to be observed that on feasts such as Christmas, St. Nicholas, the Dormition, and especially during the Lamentations of Good Friday, the vigil lamp would move back and forth on its own.

Fr. Maximos also relates that four years ago during the Sanctification of the Waters at the sea, when the wooden cross was thrown into the water, the cross became lost and was not retrieved due to the strong waves. This saddened the fathers. A few months later a fisherman from Thassos came to the Monastery and brought the wooden cross. He said he caught an octopus while fishing, and the cross was held by the octopus. Since it said Iveron on the cross, he returned it.