Wednesday, October 5, 2022

The Relics of Saint Methodia of Kimolos


Saint Methodia of Kimolos, after living as a recluse for several years, reposed in the Lord at the age of 47 on October 5, 1908. The day after her repose, it was noticed that her limbs were still flexible. She was then initially buried in the Church of Saint Spyridon on the island of Kimolos.

On August 15th 1946 she was locally recognized as the "patron and guardian of the island and its great benefactor."

By 1962 her monastic cell had fallen into ruin. For this reason a small church was built over the ruins dedicated to the Panagia Eleousa and Venerable Methodia. Her relics were then transferred from the Church of Saint Spyridon to a crypt in the new church.

The Ecumenical Patriarchate recognized the sanctity of Venerable Methodia of Kimolos on the 17th of June 1991 and numbered her among the Saints of the Church to be celebrated annually on the anniversary of her repose.

On the occasion of the first celebration after her canonization on October 5th 1991, the sacred relics of Saint Methodia were transferred to the larger Metropolitan Church of Panagia Odegetria, whose primary celebration is the feast of the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple on November 21. This cathedral was built between 1867 and 1874 by the faithful inhabitants of Kimolos. Together with the sacred relics of Saint Methodia, inside this cathedral is the 15th century icon of Panagia Odegetria, which has its origins either in Constantinople or Thessaloniki. Two icons on the iconostasis were painted by the eminent iconographer Photios Kontoglou, that of Saint Eugenia and Saint George on horseback.
 
Church built over the ruins of the cell of St. Methodia.

Metropolitan Church of Panagia Odegetria

 


 






 
Become a Patreon supporter:

To read more about supporting the ministry of the Mystagogy Resource Center, either as a monthly supporter or an annual supporter, please visit the DONATE page.

Thank you!