The Georgian Orthodox Church is marking the day of restoration of Autocephaly today.
The Georgian Church obtained Autocephaly from the Antioch in 457 and the Russian empire abolished it in 1811. Since then the Russian synod was ruling the Georgian Christian Church by its exarches. The Georgian Church returned to its Autocephalous status on 25 March 1917 and its independence was recognized by every Orthodox Church in the world, however, only verbally. Due to the activities of Ilia II, Georgia`s Catholicos Patriarch, Autocephaly was officially announced and recognized by all Orthodox churches.