Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Shrine of Panagia Tricherousa on Mount Athos


The Icon of Panagia Tricherousa (of Three Hands), which until the 12th century was kept at the Holy Lavra of Saint Savvas in Palestine, was given as a gift to St. Savvas, Archbishop of Serbia and builder of Hilandari Monastery on Mount Athos, when he visited the Holy Land.

He brought it to Serbia, then it was later moved in a wondrous way to Mount Athos, during the internal unrest of the time of the Serbian king Uros V (1355-1365). The mule who always carried the icon before the army during various battles, got "lost" and reached Hilandari Monastery alone.

At the spot where the mule stopped, about 100 meters from Hilandari Monastery, a shrine was raised.

Within the shrine are frescoes dating from 1809 depicting scenes from the history of the Icon of Panagia Tricherousa, including saints like Symeon, Savvas, the tortures of St. John of Damascus along with the cutting off of his hand and its miraculous healing and the formation of the icon with three hands, the raiding of the Monastery, the carrying of the icon by the mule, etc.











The inscription above, written in Greek and Slavonic, gives a brief history of the icon and how it arrived on Mount Athos.

"Αύτη η τιμία εικών της Υπεραγίας Θεοτόκου, εν η Ιωάννης ο Δαμασκηνός δια συκοφαντίας Λέοντος του Εικονομάχου τμηθείς την χείρα προσπεσών θαυμασίως ιάθη. Μεθ' ο την θείαν εικόνα λαβών την εν Παλαιστίνη Λαύραν Σάββα του Ηγιασμένου απελθών εμόνασε. Καιρού δε ικανού παρελθόντος παρά των εκεί εδωρήθη τω εν Αγίοις Αρχιεπισκόπω Σερβίας Σάββα, απελθόντι εκεί χάριν προσκυνήσεως και εις Σερβίαν ταύτην μετακομίσας τω αυταδέλφω αυτού Κράλη Σερβίας Στεφάνω δώρον προσήνεγκεν. Υποταχθείσης δε της Σερβίας τω εκ της Άγαρ και Ναών και Μοναστηρίων ερημωθέντων, θαυμασίως ευρέθη αύτη η εικών έμπροσθεν της Ιεράς Μονής του Χιλιανδαρίου. Οι δε τότε πατέρες εξεστηκότες μετ' ευλαβείας ταύτην λαβόντες ένδον του θείου Βήματος του Ναού ταύτην ετέθηκαν. Αλλ' εκείθεν εν τω ηγουμενικώ θρόνω παραδόξως ευρέθη, καίτοι δύο που και τρις εν τω Ιερώ παρά των Πατέρων μετέθητο. Εφάνη γαρ εν οράματι τω Ηγουμένω η Κυρία Θεοτόκος λέγουσα προς τούτον ότι ουκ ήλθον του φυλαχθήναι με υφ' υμών αλλ' υμάς υπ' εμού. Ενθέν τοι και ευπρεπίσαντες τον θρόνον επέθηκαν την ιεράν εικόνα ποιούντες κοινήν παράκλησιν έκτοτε μέχρι της σήμερον κατά παν Σάββατον. Ήτις και Τριχερούσα εκλήθη δια το προς τον Ιωάννην Δαμασκηνόν ρηθέν τερατούργημα, αργυράν χείρα τη εικόνι ανατιθέντα εις ανάμνησιν του θαύματος. 1809 Οκτωβρίου 29ην"
To read more about supporting the ministry of the Mystagogy Resource Center, please visit the DONATE page. Thank you.

Please Visit Our Sponsors

BannerFans.com